Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pismo Beach kite Expo




Just got back from a road trip to Pismo beach for the Kite Expo event. Had an amazing cruise down the California coastline and got to session a new spot with friends Luke & Jacqui Bishop. The Big Lagoon in Humboldt county! Perfect session with my Airush 9M Varial and butter smooth winds with absolutely no crowds. After that I headed down to meet my good friend "Swav" and drove thru out the night to Pismo Beach.





      Saturday was a great day on the beach but lacked the much needed wind as typical for any kite event. The Afternoon was blessed with the gift of Maui Mike's BBQ! Truly an amazing feast and no one took for granted the hard work and time put in preparing so much wonderful food.
      
 As Sunday proceeded to look like much of the same, a very light sea breeze began to pick up as a pressure front off the coast started to move inland. Without delay many of us pumped up and launched for an amazing late afternoon ride with small waves and plenty of open space.
 
 
Photo: Good seeing you last weekend.



        I began the long journey home but not before stopping at Sherman Island for a long overdue experience in one the worlds best kiting destinations. With only me and Swav on the water we had the entire place to ourselves for giant boost thru the reed islands and super flat shallows in between. I departed with the most amazing sunset to guide me back home to Oregon.
 
 

         The next day I knew the forecast was promising for the Oregon coast and there is only one place that is always windy, Pistol River. And there was no shortage as I pumped up my 9M Airush Varial and started doubting weather I should go solo in the ocean in the one of the most shark infested spots in Oregon. But the wind beckons and fear turned into pure bliss as I slashed wave after wave with perfect down the line riding and some of the biggest jumps I've had in a long, long time.




         After a long trip I'm back in Hood River now, Exhausted and hanging up the gear to dry. Looking forward to the forecast for tmrw, west winds @ 25-30. Life is good in the hood!

No comments:

Post a Comment